Let’s talk about Hobbies! I think hobbies are important to support a happy and healthy mind. For one, it will help focus on something other than your work or life at home. It can also help to meet people who have a similar interest! Personally, it’s the way I feel after creating something or doing something that I enjoy. So why don’t you try one of these hobbies and see if you can get this positive feeling, too! If you are dealing with stress, anxiety or you feel a bit down and out, tired or just simply bored with the same routines - try out these hobbies and see which ones help you reduce your negative feelings and feel more fulfilled.
Photography can be challenging if you have never tried it. But there are many tutorials on YouTube or classes taught locally by experienced photographers.
Here’s why you should try photography:
- Creating beautiful images is awesome
- Learning new skills gives a feeling of success
- It will take you to places you haven’t been to before
- You will learn to see nature or the city life around you differently
- It will get you out of your house and have a totally new way of looking at your surrounding
2. WRITING FICTION
A while ago I started writing my husbands' life story (he’s been through a lot) and I’ve discovered that writing can take the mind to an absolutely new world. It’s amazing how fantasy can create a totally different play! Here’s why you should try writing fictions:
- You will get lost in your own mental movie
- You can take classes locally and meet others with the same interest
- It’s a good way to escape the mental stress
- Finishing a book is so fulfilling
- If you don’t want to publish it, it’s ok but... you could even share it with the world!
- It can be therapeutic if you want to write about your deepest feelings
- You can make yourself the main character of the story (just think of all the possibilities!)
Looking at exercising as a hobby instead of a chore can change a lot in your life. Why? Exercising can be hard at first especially if you haven’t done anything for a while. But it can be fun once your body has adjusted and you will feel much healthier! Here’s why:
- Exercising sets free a hormone called endorphins (it gives you a natural high)
- It will be out and about (jogging in the park, fitness classes...)
- You might even make new (fitness) friends - a one hour run is easier with a friend!
- If you concentrate and stay in the moment it can be like a meditation and a great way to have some alone time
- It will help you to let off extra steam if you have any
A lot of people have found peace through gardening. It’s an uplifting feeling to see the seeds you’ve planted grow and blossom. Here’s why you should try gardening:
- To experience nature in this way can connect you more with mother earth and ground you more which reduces stress, anxiety and many negative emotions.
- You will feel proud of yourself when you see the results
- You will get more fresh air
- You will enjoy sitting on your balcony or your backyard and might even have your friends come over more often to check on your blossoming flowers
5. PLAYING MUSIC
From early childhood on I’ve always played an instrument and I have to say that by doing so I’ve always had a great way to relax. Here’s why you should play an instrument:
- Learning how to play an instrument is challenging but also rewarding
- You will have to focus 100% on learning and practice will take a lot of your spare time
- Playing your own music is relaxing
- You can play with others
I’ve got dogs. So there is no question about walks, hikes or being out in nature. Before I had the dogs I was indoors way too much. It makes a huge difference to go on a hike or a long walk or just sit at home. Here’s why you should try hiking:
- You can choose which level is best for you - a long walk or an intensive hike
- When you finally reach the end of the tour you will feel the success
- Combine photography with hikes - a fantastic match
- You will fill your mind with amazing pictures that will take you through rough times
- Hiking is great for every season. We have one saying - it’s not the weather - it’s the clothing!
My mother practiced yoga all her life. She started in the 1970’s when yoga was “the thing” to do. She is still one of the fittest older women I know. Hollywood stars or your neighbor next door - who doesn’t like yoga! Here’s why you should try yoga:
- Your mind will focus and clarity can arise
- It’s a great way to exercise
- You will always meet new people in the yoga class
- If you rather want to take some time out - join an online class
- Your body will become healthier
I have to say that dancing can be great fun! Your body will feel refreshed and it’s a great way to let off steam, create positive mental energy and just enjoy the fact that you’re alive! Here’s why you should try dancing:
- It will create a happy body and mind feeling
- Taking classes is an easy way to meet new people, make friends and go out
- Dancing will freshen you up even in the dullest moments
- It’s a great way to create instant fun
Being creative with colors is an amazing way to relax your mind. Create your own scenery or copy a well-known artist (of course only for your own use and fun). Here is why you should give painting a try:
- It will make you feel successful once your painting is done
- If it’s presentable you can organize a little private vernissage
- It can become a meditative work and even improve your motoric abilities
- Painting is a great way to brighten up your day by creating something colorful
There are thousands of new food creations waiting to make your life more interesting! Try them out and learn from local classes to YouTube videos. Here’s why you should try cooking:
- Make your food choices healthier
- The world is full of new recipes - why not make a motto night and celebrate a different country.
- You can invite your friends and even have a cooking challenge
- New tastes can be very exciting and life will get more enjoyable already
I’ve heard of it a while ago but didn’t pay much attention until my friend gave me a coloring book for grown-ups as a present. I tried it and got really into it. Here’s why you should try to color a book:
- It’s totally relaxing because the mind doesn’t have to take a decision on how the picture should look
- It’s only about colors
- A lovely way to give your mind some space
- Depending on the motive it can even be a small meditation
- Try it with your partner or kids and see their color choices.
No matter which hobby you want to try or if you try them all. Just have fun, relax and don’t let a hobby become another “to-do” on your list. Stay in the present moment and enjoy your time. Feel happy that you are alive!